Tomato puree is one of the most common and vital ingredients used in cooking. It doesn’t just provide color to your dishes, but in fact, it gives mouth-watering flavor and thick consistency to your food. Also, it increases multiple health benefits to keep you fit and strong.
We can also use it in various food recipes to enhance delicious taste, like in soup, salads, stews, sauces, and much more.
Let’s just walk through some of the tasty substitutions for tomato puree that you can easily find at home. In this article, we’ll also provide you a special tomato puree recipe that you can simply make at home.
What is tomato puree?
Tomato puree is a thick mixture used to thicken and add delicious flavor to your sauces, soups, and salads. It is made by slightly cooking tomatoes and then draining out the seeds and skin. Also, it is an essential foundation for a variety of sauces like pizza sauce, marinara sauce, and dips for nachos and breadsticks. It’s also much simpler than tomato paste as it doesn’t have any additional ingredients and is usually thicker in viscosity.
How to make Tomato Puree?
You don’t need to worry anymore if you’ve run short of tomato puree or you couldn’t buy it from the grocery store. In fact, you can utilize the fresh tomatoes present at your home in the best way possible to make a tasty homemade puree with an excellent taste and aroma.
Here are the steps for a flavorful tomato puree recipe. Nothing can go to waste, and you can have a perfect tomato puree in your kitchen.
All you need to have is fresh tomatoes, a large cutting board, a huge pot, a peeler, blender, a sharp knife, and a zipped bag- which will help you to store it.
- The first step is to wash the fresh tomatoes thoroughly under cold water and then pat them dry using a clean cloth. Then you need to peel the skin off using a sharp, saw-toothed vegetable peeler and remove any spots visible on the outer covering and the inner core of the tomatoes.
- The second step is to remove all the seeds and watery pulp from these tomatoes. For this, you need to use a spoon to scrape it off and separate the juicy part from it. Further, it would be best if you chopped them into smaller pieces to cook them at the earliest time.
- Next, you need to add them to a large pot and cook it at medium-high flame until brought to a boiling point. Then, cook it for 10 minutes until the flesh is soft, tender and juice is released.
- Then switch off the flame and let cool it down for 5-10 minutes. Later blend them until a smooth, even mixture forms.
- Take zipped bags and fill them up with the savory tomato puree. Make sure to remove excess air from the bags before freezing these bags for future use.
- To make your puree more flavorful and tastier, you should simmer the mixture for a longer time. This step will help you to make the puree much thicker with a mouth-watering savor and mouth-watering aroma.
- To make your tomato puree recipe rapid yet brilliant, try smashing the tomatoes after chopping them into small chunks.
- Tomatoes change the recipe’s texture to a great extent. Therefore, you should use the correct quantity of tomato puree in your dishes to give a unique touch without losing the meal’s primary flavor.
Best tomato puree substitute
You can easily buy tomato puree from the grocery store. Moreover, you can make it effortlessly with no trouble using the tomato puree recipe mentioned above. However, suppose you’re fascinated by the rich flavor brought by the puree but cannot use it due to any means. In that case, you can still find an excellent substitution for Tomato puree.
Here’s the list of a few exciting and readily available substitutes for tomato puree that can help you enrich the delicious taste in the best way possible.
1) Tomato Sauce
Tomato sauce is an excellent tomato puree replacement. However, it’s thinner in viscosity and has additional ingredients like spices and seasonings, which give a strong taste. Therefore, to use it as a substitute, you should keep this factor in mind.
You can use an equal amount of tomato sauce as its substitute. However, don’t add any spices or seasoning to your recipe to balance the taste and keep your dish’s flavor originality.
2) Pizza Sauce
Pizza Sauce is another incredible tomato puree substitute that can revive its tasty flavor with its unique essence. Pizza sauce is thick and a very flavor-rich sauce used as a pizza topping or dipping sauce. You can also use it with some other recipes, including meatball subs, eggplants, chicken, and dip sauce for breadsticks.
For a flavorful result, use pizza sauce in an equal amount as tomato puree. However, as long as the pizza sauce spice relates to your dish, you can enjoy this excellent substitute.
3) Tomato Paste
It’s also a noteworthy substitution but thicker in viscosity and a bit spicier than the puree.
To make Tomato paste which substitutes the puree with similar taste, texture, and color, you need to follow the steps mentioned below;
Use about 1/3 cup of tomato paste and 2/3 cups of water to replace it with the tomato puree, and use lesser spice to keep the taste the same.
4) Fresh Tomatoes
You can also use fresh tomatoes as a great substitute. For this, chop them into small chunks and cook them in a pan until soft. Then blend it up when it’s cool. The mixture is ready to use with an exceptional yet tastier substitute.
Use four cups of tomato to substitute one cup of puree.
5) Canned Tomatoes
This is the most accessible and most practical option as a tomato puree replacement. You only need to blend the canned tomatoes found in stores and remove excess water to match their consistency.
Also, do not add any spice since puree does not have any seasoning or spice.
Ketchup is more flavorful with multiple herbs and spices. Therefore, it might not be an excellent substitute for tomato puree. Still, you can use it as long it’s desirable for your taste buds. All you need to do is, pour the ketchup directly into the food while cooking it.
Benefits of tomato puree
Besides enhancing the appetizing savor, tomato puree also has multiple health benefits due to its most essential ingredient, red tomatoes. This fruit enhances our protective mechanism by which our body remains protected against cancer. Also, it makes our heart healthy and is a vital source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Potassium, and Folate.
Moreover, during the cooking process, phytochemical increases, an important compound responsible for enhancing our meal’s overall nutritional value. Also, lycopene is responsible for providing red color to the tomatoes. It also helps us by acting as an anti-oxidant, thus decreasing cancer and heart disease chances to a greater extent.
Tomato puree is no doubt an essential component of our meals. They provide not only with flavorsome taste but also has multiple healthcare benefits. This article briefed you on making tomato puree, its uses, and substitute for tomato puree.
We would suggest using tomato sauce as it’s an excellent substitute for it according to our personal experience. Still, you may use any of the substitutes mentioned above which are suitable to your taste buds.